Winter can have a tendency to leave people feeling dragged down. I often feel as if the bitter winter will never end. On our way to school each morning my son has begun asking “When is spring going to come?”
Spring where are you?? I’m pretty sure most of us are ready to say goodbye to Winter for another year. Even my five year old is fed up with the cold weather and short days!
When winter has me feeling run down (or I’m worried that I may be coming down with a bug), I often turn to a homemade tea. Tea can be so soothing and comforting.
Here’s a delicious healing tea that I brew in one of my favourite glass teapots. I came across this teapot while on vacation with my hubby, younger sister and her boyfriend (now her husband) around 7 years ago. We were strolling down Montreal’s Chinatown when we came across this quaint little tea shop. I was immediately drawn in by the beautiful pots, cups and loose leaf teas and I ended up purchasing this small glass tea pot with some blooming tea flowers.
Nowadays when I want a nice pot of tea, I will bring out my glass teapot. It’s perfect for loose leaf teas and also home-made fruit teas.
This blend, Happy Tummy & Cold Busting Tea, uses wholesome and healthy ingredients that combine to create a tea that can soothe an upset tummy and also help relieve cold symptoms.
Happy Tummy & Cold Busting Tea
- 1/2 organic lemon or lime, quartered
- 1 (or more) slice(s) of apple, diced (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 inch chunk fresh peeled ginger, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon raw apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon raw honey (optional)
- 5 small or 2 large basil leaves
- 1/2 inch piece of fresh turmeric, sliced (optional)
- 2 cups hot water
- Place all ingredients into a teapot or large cup. If your teapot has a removable strainer, place the small ingredients into the strainer for easy removal.
- Bring 2 cups of water to a boil
- Once off the boil, pour the boiled water into your cup or teapot
- Let tea steep (covered) for five minutes for the flavours to develop
- Once the tea has cooled and is no longer boiling hot, add the apple cider vinegar and optional honey
- Stir tea and pour into your favourite cup. If your teapot/cup doesn’t have a built in strainer, strain as you pour your tea, preventing the tea ingredients from entering your cup
*Adding the apple cider vinegar and honey after the tea cools to a warm temperature will maintain the health benefits of the raw products that you may lose if added to the boiled water
Happy Tummy & Cold Busting Tea packs a powerful punch with ingredients like lemon, apple cider vinegar, ginger, cinnamon and turmeric. I love the taste and it does a great job of instantly warming me up.
If you feel as if it’s a good time to give your immune system a boost than I urge you to try this simple and delicious tea. During the winter months it becomes a staple in my house that I’d like to share with you.
Does anyone brew their own homemade teas? If so, let me know about your creations in the comments below.
Until next time,