I love the versatility of pulled pork! Add it to salad bowls, lettuce wraps, cauliflower rice or use as filling for your homemade taco shells. The options are endless and don’t get me started on all of the possible flavour combinations! Ok I’m starting: Smoky BBQ, chipotle, garlicky honey mmm…sooo many delicious flavours! I want them all.
I’m VERY pleased with how this Slow Cooker Sweet Orange Pulled Pork turned out. I implore you, PLEASE – DO NOT SLEEP on this recipe. After slow cooking in citrus and pure maple syrup for 6 hours the pork is falling apart and literally bursting with mouthwatering flavour.
After cooking I like to pull the pork apart with two forks and then let it sit and mingle in the cooking sauce for half an hour. Don’t skip this step if you want the flavour burst! While the pork absorbs the divine flavours, I’ll use the time to prep the salad, veggies and smashed avocado with fresh lime. Avocado is the perfect partner for this meal.
For a really fresh and light meal I like to add a couple fork fulls of Sweet Orange Pulled Pork to a simple salad of fresh arugula greens. The salad is served alongside steamed veggies (I like bok choy drizzled with high quality olive oil and sea salt) and of course smashed avocado. It’s really good.
This recipe is super simple because you really just drop everything into the slow cooker and let it do its thing!
Sweet Orange Pulled Pork
- 1-1.5 pound pork roast
- 4 shallots, minced
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground mace
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 4 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Juice of 1 half organic orange, reserve the squeezed half to place in crockpot
- Place the minced shallots into the base of the crockpot
- Rinse off and pat the pork roast dry, season lightly with sea salt
- Lay on top of the minced shallots
- In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients to create a sauce
- Pour the sauce over the pork and shallots, making sure to cover as much as possible
- Place the squeezed orange into the crockpot, cover and cook on low for 6 hours
- Remove the lid from the crockpot. Transfer the pork to a plate and pull apart with two forks
- Place pulled pork back into the crockpot and mix well with the cooking liquid
- Place the lid back on and let sit for 30 more minutes before serving.
- Dig in and enjoy!
Any other pulled pork fans out there? Name your favourite in the comments!
Until next time,
2 thoughts on “Slowcooker Sweet Orange Pulled Pork”
I have a 2 kg roast pork
Is it the same amount of cooking
And do I change the amount of ingredients
Iam loving your website
And have already made lots of recipes
Every thing has turned out perfect
Hi Celeste, thanks so much! I appreciate the feedback. You should be good doubling the ingredients for your roast. I’d aim for around 8 hours on low in the slow-cooker. Enjoy!