They say love is in the air come Valentine’s Day. Why not add some fresh lemon and vanilla to the mix?
The aroma of fresh lemon and vanilla essence baking together could be a perfume flavour. These muffins are worth it for the aroma alone but trust me when I say you are going to want to eat them too. In fact, you’ll want to eat all of them! Hopefully you’ll have a little more restraint than me. At least try to save a few for your loved one perhaps?
It was hard to be patient while I let the oven do it’s thing (especially in those last few minutes) but I really wanted to get that beautiful golden shell with the oh-so-fluffy texture inside. I’m happy to say they turned out pretty darn perfect!
After cooling, I sliced the muffin in half and slathered on some grass-fed butter which I have been trying to work into my diet. Coconut oil would be fabulous too! I also drizzled on some fresh-squeezed lemon.
I love the light and elegant flavour that the lemon and vanilla combination imparts into these babies. Don’t forget to squeeze on some extra lemon juice before eating. It really adds to the experience!
These muffins are nut-free and gluten-free so they make a great option for kid’s events like school Valentine’s Day parties!
Lemony Love Muffins
Yield: 11 muffins
- 1/2 cup coconut flour plus 1 tbsp
- 1/2 cup tapioca starch/flour
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup grass-fed butter
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup natural applesauce
- 1/2 cup milk of choice
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
- Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners or grease tin.
- In a bowl or kitchen aid mixture, stir the butter into the sugar, followed by all other wet ingredients, and combine well.
- Combine the dry ingredients into a medium mixing bowl and then add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Mix until combined.
- Place 1/4 cup of muffin batter into each prepared muffin spot. Place tray in the middle rack of pre-heated oven.
- Bake for approximately 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Once cool, enjoy with butter, coconut oil and fresh squeezed lemon.
Hope you like them! This Valentine’s Day, why not make your sweetheart or loved one something delicious?
And if you need something a little more chocolatey…
Homemade Chocolate Bark