If there was an Oscars for food than root veggies would definitely get my vote for Best Supporting Dish. Roasted, boiled, steamed, or bbq’d it matters not – they always get thumbs up from me.
Strangely I never, ever get bored with sweet potatoes.
Another great way to enjoy sweet potatoes is to serve them up fry-style. These potatoes in my pictures are cut into fries and then baked. The spices can be easily customized (or you can simply season with sea salt). I’m partial to this version though as the spice mixture just adds that little something extra.
I’ve included a recipe for a creamy mayo-style dip that is egg and dairy free and packed with healthy avocado. A tasty dip adds to the fun, right? I think so.
Serve in a pail with some parchment paper and you will really look like you know what you’re doing. It makes me feel like I’m at some beach burger joint (which is especially nice to think about while I sit in subzero Canadian temperatures).
Sweet Potato Fries
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled & chopped into french fry shape slices
- 1 tbsp fat of choice (Suggestions include duck fat, coconut oil)
- 1/4 tsp of each of the following: onion powder, garlic powder, paprika
- Salt to taste
- Double up on the onion powder, garlic powder and paprika for a heavier seasoned version
- Add 1/8-1/4 tsp or more chipotle chilli pepper or red chilli flakes to add some kick
- Pre-heat oven to 415 degrees
- Place chopped potato slices into a large bowl and toss with the fat and spices
- Place potato slices onto a parchment lined rimmed baking sheet, leaving enough room between slices to prevent steaming
- Place in the pre-heated oven on the middle rack
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the bottom side is nice and golden
- Flip and continue to cook for 5 more minutes
- Remove from the oven and transfer to a cooling rack
- Serve with Avocado Aioli
- Flesh from 1 large ripe avocado
- Juice of half a lime
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp fruit sweetened apricot compote/preserve/jam or honey
- 1/8 cup olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Place all of the ingredients into the small bowl of a food processor and process until smooth and creamy
- Scoop into a bowl, top with some paprika if desired and enjoy!
These fries go fast. You may want to double the recipe to make sure you don’t end up having a fight around the table! Do you ever make sweet potato fries? Let me know in the comments!
4 thoughts on “Sweet Potato Fries with Avocado Aioli”
Thanks Lucy! 🙂 🙂
iYogaprops | Yoga Mats
This looks delicious. Always a delight when everyday snacks such as potato and fries can actually turn healthy with just a few additions of vegetables.
Thanks! Yes, and because the dip uses avocado as a base you also get a dose of healthy fats! Let me know if you end up trying the recipe, I’d love the feedback 🙂