With the temperatures beginning to drop, I find myself remembering how wonderful a hot bowl of soup can be. Delicious root vegetables and warming spices combine into a delectable autumn meal that definitely get my taste buds roaring!
Whether it be pumpkin, squash or apples, I can’t wait to get in the kitchen and cook them up!
A great soup needn’t be complex! Some of my favourite homemade soups are very simple to make. Who doesn’t love simple?
This weekend was a busy one. We celebrated and hosted Canadian Thanksgiving (I’m in Ontario near Toronto) as well as my husband’s birthday. I was quite busy prepping for the main meal and the birthday planning. I needed to come up with some quick, nourishing and delicious meals for the celebration and soup came right to mind!
Autumn Pumpkin Soup with Raw Cinnamon Apple Topping to be exact.
This soup is simple and delicious. It will certainly boost your affection for fall flavours! The raw cinnamon apple topping is like the icing on the cake so be sure not to skip it!
Autumn Pumpkin Soup with Raw Cinnamon Apple Topping
- 1 whole buttercup squash, halved, seeded and roasted until soft*
- 1 pumpkin, halved, seeded and roasted until soft, reserve 1/2 cup puree for soup and use the rest for other delicious pumpkin recipes*
- 3 cups water
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp Hungarian paprika
- Herbamare to taste
- 1 apple (I used McIntosh)
pureed with water (blend 1 apple with 1/4 cup water for apple puree)
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 4 large garlic, minced
- Olive oil to coat bottom of pan
*Feel free to roast the squash and pumpkin on the weekend (or the night before) to save you time. You can also use canned pumpkin to simplify things!
During fall months, I always like to have a large roasted squash on hand. Adding pureed squash to meals is a great way to get some extra veggies in there. It can be added to soup, chilli, and rice dishes ~ the options are almost endless!
- Sautee onions in olive oil over medium low heat until soft
- Add minced garlic to pan
- When garlic is fragrant, add spices, mix with onions and cook for one minute
- Add squash and pumpkin puree and mix well
- Add water, and apple/water puree mixture
- Simmer for 5-10 minutes until flavours blend
- Puree soup in blender or with immersion blender
- Season with sea salt & fresh pepper to taste (Optional)
- Ladle soup into serving bowls.
- Top each serving with dollop of Raw Cinnamon Apple Topping
Raw Cinnamon Apple Topping:
- 1 apple (I used McIntosh)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- Sprinkle of cacao
- Place apple, water and cinnamon into blender
- Process on high until desired consistency
- Pour into serving bowl, sprinkle with cacao
Don’t feel bad if you can’t stop spooning more and more Raw Cinnamon Apple Topping into your bowl. The sweet taste pairs incredibly well with the heat of the curry. I couldn’t stop myself either! Luckily I have a nice hubby who didn’t mind me taking more than my fair share.
This is an allergen free, simple recipe made with whole food ingredients. I encourage you to dig in! Yummy-Yum.
Until next time,
2 thoughts on “Autumn Pumpkin Soup with Raw Cinnamon Apple Topping”
This sounds amazing and I will definitely try it this weekend!
Thanks so much!! Please let me know how you end up liking it!