Whenever I make homemade nut butter, I can’t stop myself from eating spoonfuls right out of the blender.
The spread is still warm and incredibly decadent!
It doesn’t matter what I spread it onto… this nut butter has the power to turn something rather bland into something magical.
Natural nut butter gets major points in the nutrition category. My personal favourites are almond based butters. Almond butter is high in antioxidants, can help reduce blood sugar levels and cholesterol and (shockingly!) can assist in weight control. Almond butter can be viewed as a super food spread!
You will want to avoid the processed kind (*ahem* Kraft Peanut Butter) as they are often filled with artery clogging hydrogenated oils.
Hydrogenated oils are a huge no-no and I personally avoid anything containing “hydrolyzed oils”.
And another good reason to avoid processed nut butters is the process to blend your own is incredibly simple and cost-effective. Use some creativity when making your own and throw in some extra ingredients!
How does Almond Pumpkin Seed Butter with Cinnamon, Honey and Cacao sound?
- 1/2 cup Avocado Oil (the picture above uses 1/4 cup but 1/2 cup will make a creamier, smoother spread)
- 1 tsp Coconut Oil
- 1 tsp Raw Honey
- 1/4 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tbsp Cacao
- 2 cup Almonds
- 1 cup Pumpkin Seeds
- Toss ingredients into the blender (Adding oil first will help the blender process the nuts)
- Place lid on blender and insert tamper*
- Process on high for 1 minute
- Turn blender off and evaluate for desired consistency
- Process further if desired (note: watch carefully as over processing can burn out the motor)
- Pour or scoop into a glass container with a tight sealing lid.
- Natural nut butters should be kept in the fridge.
- You’ll likely need a high-powered blender* to create nut butters as they can require some significant horse power to crush and blend the nuts. I use and recommend the Vitamix blender.
THANK YOU for all the likes on Instagram – This has been my most “liked” photo so of course I HAD to post the recipe. Thank you everyone for all the love!