They say taste is composed of more aspects than just the flavour of the food:
- Visual – Does the food have visual appeal?
- Smell – Does the food have a favourable scent?
- Actual taste – How delicious is that first bite?
- Emotional – Are you connected to the food in any way? Whether someone special is preparing the dish, or perhaps the food is a dish served from your childhood? Connecting on some level usually elevates the taste factor.
I believe Balsamic Orange & Beetroot Soup scores high in all the aforementioned aspects and makes a perfect companion to your lunch or dinner.
Balsamic Orange & Beetroot Soup has beautiful visual appeal. The ruby-red hue of the pureed soup and the orange drizzle combine to create a real treat for the senses. The simmering soup smells fantastic and tastes even better!
For me, the emotional aspect of the taste comes from using the whole beetroot. I love using as much of my ingredients as possible as it is a crime to send such healthy, fresh greens to the compost. Zero waste leaves me with great satisfaction.
This soup uses all of those beet greens that often get tossed! I’m quite proud of this soup and very excited to share the recipe with you today.
My happy equation for the day:
Delicious soup + zero waste + large serving of healthy veggies & greens = Recipe for success!
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large red shepard pepper, diced
- 1 large beet, peeled & diced
- 1 bunch of beet greens & stems, chopped
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 tsp chicken or veggie concentrate (I used Better Than Bouillon organic chicken base)
- 1 tbsp tomato concentrate
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Additional Herbamare or sea salt to taste (Optional)
- 1 tbsp & 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 orange peeled, blended
- Olive oil to coat bottom of pot
- Heat olive oil over medium low heat
- Sauté onions until soft
- Add chopped beet & cook for 5-10 minutes
- Add pepper and sauté until soft
- Add optional Herbamare or sea salt to taste
- Add garlic and beet stems and sauté until garlic becomes fragrant
- Add beet greens & tomato paste and sauté until wilted and soft
- Add water & chicken/veggie concentrate
- Cook for a few minutes for flavours to mingle
- Blend soup in blender or with immersion blender
- Add juice of half the blended orange, sea salt & balsamic vinegar, mix well
- Ladle soup into bowls & drizzle with remaining fresh blended orange juice, creating beautiful swirls
Health Benefits of Beets and Beet Roots
- Purify the blood
- Cleanse the liver
- Helps treat anemia
- Excellent source of Folic Acid
- Excellent source of Vitamin K
I find the emotional connection to food quite interesting. Is there a certain meal or food that evokes an emotional connection with you? Perhaps a childhood favourite or a dish served to you while on your honeymoon? I’d love to hear your thoughts!
Served in the cooling autumn weather, this soup has a great warming effect on the body. Try making Balsamic Orange & Beetroot soup tonight, your taste buds will be quite happy. Mine were ecstatic!
Until next time,