Mmm, I love these customizable egg muffins. They make such a cute and perfect little package.
Eggs alone are considered one of the most complete proteins on the planet but why stop there? Let’s give it even more nutritional punch by packing in some iron (baby spinach) and also the fresh taste of dill. These egg muffins combine to create one healthy, delicious & simple breakfast. If you don’t like dill and spinach, simply substitute with a fresh herb and a veggie of choice.
Customized egg muffin with onion & cheese on some (optional)
I don’t eat cheese myself, but I added some for my kiddies & hubby who greatly enjoyed them. I also cracked whole eggs in some as I really like the final look.
I love how simple it is to create a whole tray of ready, fresh-out-of-the oven eggs to feed the whole family.
Simply combine the ingredients, fill cupcake liners and then get creative with the toppings.
“The egg is a powerhouse of disease-fighting nutrients like lutein and zeaxanthin. These carotenoids may reduce the risk of age-related macular degeneration, the leading cause of blindness in older adults. And brain development and memory may be enhanced by the choline content of eggs” webmd.com
“One little egg is packed with several vitamins essential to your health:
• Vitamin B2 (riboflavin), which helps your body to break down food into energy
• Vitamin B12 (cobalamin), vital for producing red blood cells
• Vitamin A (retinol), which is great for your eyesight
• Vitamin E (tocopherol), which fights off the free radicals that can cause tissue and cellular damage, which may lead to cancer”
Don’t forget to eat the whole egg! “the goodness of eggs is found in the yolk (containing over 90 percent of an egg’s calcium and iron) and the white (containing almost half the egg’s protein).” besthealthmag.ca
Without further adieu, here is the recipe for Egg & Spinach Cups:
Yield: approximately half a cupcake tin
- 5 eggs, whisked
- 1 tbsp fresh dill, chopped
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup packed fresh baby spinach leaves
- Sea salt to taste
- 2 extra eggs
- 1/4 cup shredded cheese of choice (completely optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 405f
- Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners for easy cleanup
- Mix the 5 eggs (you could also use a mix of eggs & liquid egg whites) with onion, spinach, dill & sea salt
- Add mixture to cupcake liners filling almost to top, leaving room for shredded cheese if using. Fill two cups only half way up as you will crack the two remaining eggs into those cups (I like the variety and look of some having whole eggs and some not-see pic above for an example)
- Top with shredded cheese if desired
- Feel free to add in other toppings of choice here…bacon, chives, green onion
- Bake uncovered for 20 mins
- Carefully remove cupcakes from tin and transfer to a serving plate. I grab the egg muffins by the rim of the cupcake liner to remove without touching the egg muffin
This recipe can easily be doubled or tripled for a special breakfast or brunch. The individually wrapped egg muffins are convenient, healthy, delicious – and also make some great table conversation. Everyone seems to love them!
Until next time,