I decided I needed to make something today with the delicious organic strawberries and fresh bunch of fragrant basil I had sitting on my counter. I opened my fridge and found a lonely bag of organic carrots. I wasn’t sure if the pairing would work but what the heck, I gave it a shot!
After one lick of the spoon I knew I had made a good choice. The sweet carrots, juicy strawberries, fresh squeezed lemon and coconut oil combined into one creamy, smooth, melt-in-your mouth puree dish. What about the basil? It definitely came through. The puree had a very subtle pepper & slightly sweet basil flavour. Perfect!
I really love how simple this puree is to make. I steamed the carrots until super soft, drained and then tossed them into the Vitamix blender with the remaining ingredients. Voila! A delicious and elegant side dish. This dish looks fabulous garnished with fresh slices of strawberry.
Sweet Strawberry & Basil Carrot Puree
- 2 lb organic carrots, sliced into rounds
- 3 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 3 medium strawberries, hulled
- 3 large basil leaves, chopped
- 3 to 4 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste (optional-omit to make Autoimmune Protocol friendly)
- Prepare carrots and place them in a medium-sized pot. Fill with fresh water so that approximately half the carrot slices are submerged.
- Place a lid on the carrots and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and continue to simmer until soft.
- Place all of the remaining ingredients into the base of a high-powered blender.
- Drain the carrots into a colander set over the sink. Scoop the carrots out of the colander and into the blender.
- Process on high until smooth and creamy.
- Transfer the puree to a serving bowl and garnish with fresh chopped strawberries. I like placing fresh basil around the base of the dish for some easy visual appeal.
- Dig in and enjoy!