Whenever shrimp goes on sale, I’m in!
This week they had a 454g bag of frozen raw Zipperback shrimp on sale for $5.99 CAD which is a great deal! I love a good deal. In fact, I price match weekly and save approx $30.00-$40.00 per week! I’ve got price matching down to almost an art, and, can do it taking less time than someone cashing out regular groceries. After a few attempts, I quickly learned how organization is key. The savings goes to family vacations or programs for my little ones, and to me, it’s well worth the effort.
Back to the shrimp though!
Tonight, I wanted to make something fairly simple but use up the frozen shrimp as well as the yellow and red peppers, fresh pineapple and onions all purchased with this weeks groceries.
I decided on Garlic shrimp with sauteed peppers, onions & pineapple served over basic brown rice. I always offer fresh lime as I truly believe it adds flavour to almost everything (especially seafood).
The Garlic Shrimp with sauteed peppers, onions & pineapple recipe is simple, clean tasting and quite delicious.
- 1 red pepper
- 1 orange pepper
- 2 medium onions
- 5 large garlic cloves
- Fresh pineapple (canned is a fine substitute if fresh is not available)
- 454g bag of frozen shrimp (I used President’s Choice Pacific White Shrimp Raw Zipperback)
- Sea salt or Herbamare & fresh black pepper to taste
- Olive oil to coat bottom of pan
The steps are simple and rewarding:
- Coat bottom of large deep heavy bottomed pan with olive oil
- Warm pan on medium-low heat
- Cut the peppers and onions into medium sized wedges and add to pan
- Chop 3 garlic cloves and smash the other two cloves
- Once veggies are fairly soft, add garlic to pan
- Once the garlic becomes fragerent add the shrimp and cook until no longer opeque and shells open
- Add fresh small chunks of pinneaple and cook until warm
- Remove from heat and serve over brown rice. Serve with fresh lime slices
If you have other fresh ingredients that you want to use up and they go with the theme, add them in…the recipe really is just a base for future meals for myself as well as you!
Until next time,