Are you in a breakfast rut?
I’ve had a fair number of people ask me recently about egg free options. After providing some egg substitutes for baking it got me thinking about egg free breakfast in general.
Yes, the standard bacon and eggs can be absolutely amazing, but sometimes you just need a break from eggs. I have some followers on Instagram/Facebook who choose to avoid eggs for dietary reasons or simply prefer to omit eggs from their diets.
Here are 8 simple breakfast ideas sans eggs!
- Slices of apples dipped in nut butter (try my Almond Pumpkin Butter with Cinnamon, Honey & Cacao)
- Avocado purée spread on whole grain rice cakes. Top with fresh cilantro and minced tomato & onion. Try a squeeze of lime! (Paleo option – use celery sticks in place of the rice cakes)
- Nut butter spread on whole grain rice cakes. Sprinkle a good layer of hemp seeds overtop. (Paleo option – use celery sticks in place of the rice crackers)
- Homemade granola enjoyed with some coconut milk or sprinkled over natural Greek yogurt (if you’re eating dairy, Greek yogurt is a protein powerhouse!)
- Berries & cream (Pop a can of full fat coconut cream in the fridge before bed). Add 1 tbsp or so to fresh berries. Drizzle with raw honey, maple syrup and nuts of choice!
- Homemade smoothie (add protein powder, nut butter, seeds or whole nuts to give your shake a protein boost!)
- Try a warm salad – there is no reason why sautéed veggies over a bed of fresh greens can’t be eaten in the AM (Use “no sodium added” canned beans if you eat legumes or “no sodium added” canned salmon or tuna for paleo version)
Finally, introduce yourself to Chia Seeds!
These little babies are so nutrient dense, naturally gluten-free and are widely viewed as a superseed! They contain 5 grams of fiber and 3 grams of Omega-3 per serving (1 heaping tbsp). Top performers in the nutrition category!
Chia seeds are often used to make overnight chia pudding; they are also added to shakes, baked into muffins and breads, and can be used as an egg replacement in baked goods.
Chia Seed Maple Porridge is a great option for egg free breakfast or substitute for traditional oatmeal. Perfect for your Fall morning!
- 3 tbsp almond meal
- 1 tbsp coconut milk
- 1/2 cup chia seed gel*
- 1/3 tsp maple syrup
- 1/3 tsp nut butter (I used Almond Pumpkin Seed Butter with Cinnamon, Honey & Cacao)
- Pinch of sea salt
- Toppings: Cacao, pecans, additional maple syrup (optional)
*To make the chia seed gel, simply place 2 tbsp of chia seed into one cup of water. Mix well and let sit for a few minutes.
- Mix all ingredients together in a small circle Pyrex dish
- Heat in the microwave for 3 minutes
- Transfer to a serving bowl, top with additional coconut milk, dust with cacao, and a handful of pecans
- Add additional maple syrup to taste (optional)
Try incorporating a few of the above “egg free” breakfast options into your meal plan each week. Say goodbye to your breakfast rut!
Until next time,