Posted at 11:33 am , on December 28, 2014
Are you looking for the techniques to guarantee a perfectly cooked pot roast each and every time? Better yet – success even without a recipe?
In this post I’ll describe how you can transform an average roast into a delicious, melt-in-your-mouth pot roast with a killer gravy to boot.
1. Choose a roast with lots of marbling throughout
- Lean cuts of meat are not made for pot roasting.
- The more marbling throughout the roast, the more flavour the finished pot roast will have.
- Marbling will melt down during the long cooking process, creating immense flavour.
- If you have a very lean cut of meat it’s probably best to consider another cooking method.
2. Always bring your meat to room temperature before cooking
- A room temperature roast will allow for much more even cooking.
- A cold roast will encourage steaming instead of browning when it makes contact with the hot pan. If you allow too much moisture to escape as steam you will not be able to achieve the desired golden crust!
Posted at 11:23 am , on October 2, 2013
The sweet, creamy taste of spiced pumpkin takes me back to my childhood. I have always loved baked pumpkin treats and it’s a love I don’t expect to ever leave me.
Now with two kids of my own, I see the wonders of autumn and fall fun through their eyes. It’s magical to watch them experience the leaves changing or to see how much fun they have picking out their Halloween costumes. Pumpkin carving turns into a chaotic and beautiful mess but I wouldn’t change a thing!
The taste of pumpkin never gets old or boring. With each year, I’m beginning to think my love for pumpkin is actually growing. Continue reading
Posted at 8:14 am , on September 13, 2013
Chia Seed Maple Porridge
Are you in a breakfast rut?
I’ve had a fair number of people ask me recently about egg free options. After providing some egg substitutes for baking it got me thinking about egg free breakfast in general.
Yes, the standard bacon and eggs can be absolutely amazing, but sometimes you just need a break from eggs. I have some followers on Instagram/Facebook who choose to avoid eggs for dietary reasons or simply prefer to omit eggs from their diets.
Here are 8 simple breakfast ideas sans eggs! Continue reading
Posted at 4:00 pm , on September 9, 2013
As yet another summer comes to an end, I’ll certainly miss the hot sun filled days, outdoor swimming and fun summer BBQs.
But those who know me will attest that autumn is my favourite season.
I’m certainly looking forward to sipping hot cocoa in my cozy, wool sweater with the crisp world outside turning shades of bright yellow, vibrant orange and scarlet red. Continue reading
Posted at 2:01 am , on June 20, 2013
Booking vacation is so exciting. The thought of a new city, unseen sights and all of the possibilities that await. From the time you book, until the day you depart, the excitement begins.
Once planning begins, the reality sets in for all of us who suffer from food allergies or intolerance. What to eat the entire time you’re away? Three meals, each and every day. Just thinking about the food planning process can be exhausting. Continue reading